Megali - adjective, noun - adjective 1. great or big in Greek -noun 1.. A nickname derived from my first and middle names

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Green Mountain Coffee Fair Trade Review

BzzAgent has been good to me the last few months.  At one point, I was in six active BzzCampaigns simultaneously.  And while it's true that they "reward [the] most active and influential BzzAgents with access to even more campaigns", entry into a campaign is also dependent upon demographics.  BzzAgent courts companies with the promise of accelerating sales via word of mouth and sometimes those companies want people of a certain age, gender, income level, or location.  Thankfully, I was selected for the Green Mountain Coffee Fair Trade BzzCampaign.

I don't remember when I first started drinking coffee.  Before I liked coffee as a drink, I loved coffee ice cream.  Mmmmmm, Springer Chip!  Basically, I liked stuff that tasted like coffee to be incredibly sweet.  Even today, R jokes with me, "Want some coffee with your sugar?"

Oh, but now.  Now I would fight anyone threatening to take away my Keurig.  I rely heavily on my two cups of coffee in the morning to help get me through the day.

And what better way to start your day than knowing you're making a positive difference?  Green Mountain Coffee features the most Fair Trade Certified coffees in the United States.  People say that life isn't fair.  But those committed to Fair Trade goods and products are trying to ensure that adage doesn't apply.   Just as so many of us are removed several generations from thinking about where the meat we eat comes from, we also don't really ponder the people and communities making the gifts we buy and harvesting the coffee we consume.  We can't take for granted that the workers receive a living wage, that the workers aren't children as young as Slim (age 5), that the companies aren't abusing the resources of the land the workers call home without regard to how it impacts the environment.  As it states in the embedded Fair Trade: Every Purchase Matters YouTube video, "When you buy Fair Trade Certified Goods, you're making a choice that means quality products, improved lives, and protection of the environment."  Receiving fair trade certification means adherence to environmental, labor, and developmental standards.  The goal?  That with fair trade, they get a fair deal.  Green Mountain puts it simply, "Coffee is more than just something to drink. It connects us to each other, and to the rest of the world."





Look for the symbol to the left to ensure you're buying a Fair Trade Certified product. 





Green Mountain offers a wide selection of Fair Trade coffees.  Amongst my favorites are Vermont Country Blend, available year round and Pumpkin Spice, a coffee that embodies Fall, which is a limited edition only available in the, you guessed it, Fall.  Perfect for the upcoming holidays and snowy Winter days are their limited edition Gingerbread and Spicy Eggnog flavors.  Start your day with a cup and help brew a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment